|Straight Talk - The “artistry” of nursing.|
May 12, 2011
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
Florence Nightingale was a celebrated English nurse who elevated the profession when she established a nursing school at a London hospital in 1860. She once said, “Nursing is an art, and it requires an exclusive devotion, as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work.”
That quote rang true earlier this week as we celebrated Hospital and Nurses’ Week with the NCH Nurses Award Ceremony at the Naples Beach Club.
Everyone at NCH is in the noble profession of putting our patients’ needs ahead of our own. We are so fortunate to be blessed with purpose, worthwhile work and being able to make a difference. These attributes are exemplified by this year’s nursing award winners, described below. Both campuses and our community nurses from the NCH Healthcare Group, School Nurses, Community Blood Center, Marco Urgent Care, and Wound Healing Center are considered, with one person in each category from each campus selected. This year’s honorees are:
• Thelma Hodges Nurse Mentor of the Year, North Naples Hospital: Jessica Vergara-Gomez, RN, 4 West Medical Surgical. Her students said that now they know the true meaning of nursing and they want to be a nurse too.
• Thelma Hodges Nurse Mentor of the Year, Downtown Hospital: Nadine Postemus, RN, 3 South Medical Surgical Nurse Residency Unit. She recognized her patient was failing, sounded the alarm and managed a coding patient with calmness that resulted in saving a life.
• Rising Star, North Naples Hospital: Michelle Dettorre, RN, 4 West Medical-Surgical. She has received repeated mentions by name on Press Ganey surveys, letters and peer recognition for her caring approach to patients.
• Rising Star, Downtown Hospital: Kaitlen Magdalener, RN, 6 North Cardiac Telemetry. A positive attitude and eagerness to be the best nurse for her patients and her team. She is actively involved in the unit-based shared governance council activities and she assures attention to every detail.
• Support Super Star, North Naples Hospital: Rolin Bastien, CT, 2 East Cardiac Telemetry. As a nursing student he is attuned to changing patient conditions, reporting signs and symptoms to the nurses immediately, making a difference.
• Support Super Star, Downtown Hospital: Colleen Boyle, RCIS, Angioplasty. She has a kind way about her and acts as if that patient is the only patient she is caring for, that it is a privilege to provide care, and always with a smile.
• Nurse of the Year, North Naples Hospital: Peggy Munson, RN, Pediatrics. She has a gift for combining confidence and compassion, allaying parental and patient trepidations with unparalleled expertise. Peggy’s mission is making sure her kids get the very best care, and when she is with them, there is no question that they do.
• Nurse of the Year, Downtown Hospital: Patricia Haines, RN, 5 North Orthopedics. The mark of an extraordinary nurse is not only that you demonstrate the very best, but that you also inspire and promote excellence in others. Patty does exactly that.
We are blessed to celebrate with so many competent, compassionate caregivers who practice the “artistry” of nursing.
Allen S. Weiss, M.D., President and CEO
Join us on Facebook at: