Daniel A. Driscoll, MD
Hip and Knee Replacement
ABOUT DR. DRISCOLL
Dr. Daniel Driscoll is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee reconstruction, including primary hip and knee replacement, partial knee replacement, and complex revision hip and knee replacement. He performs both anterior and posterior hip replacement. Dr. Driscoll uses minimally invasive techniques and computer navigation to assist patients in regaining their mobility. His practice incorporates advanced technology and the latest research in order to achieve the best outcome for his patients.
As an undergraduate at Harvard College, Dr. Driscoll graduated cum laude and was a four-year member of the Harvard Varsity football team. He went on to receive his medical degree from Harvard Medical School. After completing his orthopedic surgical residency at HSS, he then completed an additional year of specialized training at HSS as a clinical fellow on the Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement service.
Dr. Driscoll continues to be an active researcher, with a focus on ensuring patient safety and satisfaction after primary and revision total joint replacement. In 2022, he was awarded the Lewis Clark Wagner MD Chief Resident Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Clinical/Translational Research. His research has been presented at national and international orthopedic surgery meetings. He has authored peer-reviewed articles in leading medical journals including Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Journal of Arthroplasty, and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. He is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS).
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Hip and Knee Replacement
- Anterior approach/Direct anterior hip replacement
- Comprehensive treatment of hip and knee arthritis
- Hip and knee periprosthetic fractures.
- Hip and knee periprosthetic infections Hip and knee replacement.
- Minimally invasive hip replacement
- Partial (unicompartmental) knee replacement
- Revision hip and knee replacement
- Robotic and computer-assisted joint replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Anterior approach total hip replacement
- Computer-assisted total hip replacement
- Hip fracture surgery
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement
- Revision hip replacement
- Robotic total hip replacement
- Computer-assisted total knee replacement
- Minimally invasive total knee replacement
- Revision knee replacement
- Robotic partial knee replacement (unicompartmental)
- Robotic total knee replacement
Orthopedic Surgeon, HSS Florida
- Lewis Clark Wagner, MD Award for Excellence in Clinical/Translational Research, 2022
- Musculoskeletal Infection Society ePoster Award, 2022
- JBJS Essential Surgical Techniques Editor’s Choice Subspecialty Award (co-author), 2022
- Hospital for Special Surgery Surgeon-in-Chief Research Grant, 2020
- Hospital for Special Surgery Surgeon-in-Chief Research Grant, 2019
- Hospital for Special Surgery OITE Honor Roll, 2018
- BIDMC Crimson Care Clinic Senior Clinician Award, 2016
- Arthritis Foundation Student Fellowship (New England Region), 2014
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Graduate Scholarship, 2011
- National Football Federation Hampshire Honor Society Member, 2011
Medical School: Harvard Medical School, 2017
Internship: Hospital for Special Surgery/Weill Cornell Medical College, 2018
Residency: Hospital for Special Surgery, 2022
Fellowship: Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement, Hospital for Special Surgery, 2023
FOR MY PATIENTS
PUBLICATIONS BY DR. DRISCOLL
- Cause for concern? Significant cement coverage in retrieved metaphyseal cones after revision total knee arthroplasty.
Anatone AJ, Driscoll DA, Flevas DA, Baral EC, Chalmers BP, Sculco PK
- Defining Patient-relevant Thresholds and Change Scores for the HOOS JR and KOOS JR Anchored on the Patient-acceptable Symptom State Question.
Clin Orthop Relat Res
Dekhne MS, Fontana MA, Pandey S, Driscoll DA, Lyman S, McLawhorn AS, MacLean CH
- Does Acetabular Bone Loss Severity Associate With Patient-Reported Outcome Measures and Reoperation Rate in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty?
Driscoll DA, Anderson CG, Bornes TD, Nocon A, Bostrom MPG, Sculco TP, Sculco PK
- Identifying alternative antibiotics that elute from calcium sulfate beads for treatment of orthopedic infections.
J Orthop Res
Levack AE, Turajane K, Driscoll DA, Yang X, Miller AO, Bostrom MP, Wellman DS, Carli AV
Rotating Hinge Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty for Severe Arthrofibrosis.
JBJS Essent Surg Tech
Debbi EM, Alpaugh K, Driscoll DA, Tarity TD, Gkiatas I, Sculco PK
- Analysis of the Basic Science Questions on the Orthopaedic In-Training Examination From 2014 to 2019.
J Am Acad Orthop Surg
Shen TS, Driscoll DA, Ellsworth BK, Premkumar A, Lebrun DG, Bostrom MPG, Cross MB
- Nonconcentric and Irregular Dislocations of Total Hip Arthroplasties: Radiographic Analysis and Review of the Literature.
J Emerg Med
Gkiatas I, Sharma AK, Driscoll DA, McLawhorn AS, Chalmers BP, Sculco PK
- Modern Internet Search Analytics and Total Joint Arthroplasty: What Are Patients Asking and Reading Online?
Shen TS, Driscoll DA, Islam W, Bovonratwet P, Haas SB, Su EP
Correction to: At the US Epicenter of the COVID-19 Pandemic, an Orthopedic Residency Program Reorganizes.
Morse KW, Wessel LE, Premkumar A, James EW, Anatone AJ, Barth K, Bovonratwet P, Jordan Y, Retzky J, Suhardi V, Thacher R, Uppstrom T, Yang B, Bido J, Carey E, Defrancesco C, Elbuluk A, Lebrun D, Ondeck N, Pompeu Y, Schimizzi G, Shafi K, Apostolakos JM, Barber LA, Brusalis CM, Driscoll DA, Ellsworth B, Langhans M, Shen T, Wright-Chisem J, Conti M, Eliasberg C, Goeb Y, Henry J, Lin KM, Lovecchio F, Samuel A, Dvorzhinskiy A, Goodbody C, Gruskay J, Heaps B, Hurwit D, Kahlenberg C, Rauck R, Steinhaus M, Bostrom M, Cross M, Fabricant PD, Felix K, Green D, Kim HJ, Leali A, Memnon CM, O’Brasky M, Ranawat A, Robbins L, Nwachukwu BU, Fufa DT
For all publications, please see the PubMed listing.
- Driscoll DA, Hornicek FJ, Schwab JH, Lozano Calderon SA; Surgical Treatment for Metastatic Lesions in Pelvis; pp 61- 67; In Surgery of the Pelvic and Sacral Tumor; Springer; 2020; 1st edition
- Driscoll DA, Alberto V Carli, Mathias P.G. Bostrom, Ajay Premkumar. In Vitro Anti-Biofilm Effect of Intraoperative Irrigation Solutions against Escherichia Coli Biofilm. Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Chicago, IL, March 24, 2022. Podium Presentation.
- Driscoll DA, Anderson C, Bornes TD, Nocon A, Blevins JL, Bostrom MPG, Sculco PK, Sculco TP. Acetabular Bone Loss Severity at the Time of Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty Associates with Reoperation Rate and Preoperative Patient Reported Outcome Measures. The Hip Society Summer Meeting, Santa Monica, CA (closed meeting). October, 1, 2022. Podium Presentation.
- Driscoll DA, Bornes TD, Malahias MT, Lipman JD, Wright TM, Bostron MPG, Sculco PK. Malposition of a Custom Flanged Acetabular Component does not Associate with Implant Survivorship. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. March 7-8, 2023. Las Vegas, NV. Poster Presentation.
- Driscoll DA, Dekhne M, Lyman S, Antao VC, MacLean C, McLawhorn AS. Defining Success: Comparison of different methods to report patient reported outcome measure-based quality for lower extremity total joint arthroplasty. The 12th Annual International Congress of Arthroplasty Registries, Montreal, Canada. May 15, 2023. Podium Presentation.
- Driscoll DA, Grubel J, Ong J, Chiu YF, Mandl L, Cushner F, Della Valle AG, Parks M. Obesity Severity Does Not Associate with Rate, Timing, or Invasiveness of Intervention after TKA. 2023 Members Meeting of The Knee Society. Monterey, CA. September 8, 2023. Podium Presentation.
- Quevedo González FJ, Mayman DJ, Karasavvidis T, Pagan C, Driscoll DA, Helbock R, Lipman JD, Sculco PK, Debbi EM, Wright TM, Vigdorchik JM, Kahlenberg CA. The Patellar Tilt Differences After Total Knee Arthroplasty Between Supine and Standing Radiographic Views Are Not Related to the Rotation of Well-Aligned Femoral Components. International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty 2023: 34th International Congress. September 27-30, 2023. New York, NY. Podium Presentation.
- Cheng R, Mantena Y, Chiu Y, Kahlenberg CA, Figgie MP, Driscoll DA. Comparable Patient-Reported Outcomes Following Staged and Simultaneous Posterior Bilateral Total Hip Arthroplasty As Early As 3 Months Post-Operation. Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. Charleston, SC. October 28, 2023. Podium Presentation.
- Barberis L, Abdelrahman T, Driscoll DA, Daşcı MF, Gehrke T, Citak M. Unexpected positive cultures in periprosthetic femur and knee fractures. 2023 American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting. November 2-5, 2023. Grapevine, TX. Poster Presentation.
- Driscoll DA, Dekhne M, Lyman S, Antao VC, MacLean C, McLawhorn AS. Defining “Success”: Comparison of different methods to report patient reported outcome measure-based quality for lower extremity total joint arthroplasty. 2023 American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting. November 2-5, 2023. Grapevine, TX. Poster Presentation.
- Driscoll DA, Grubel J, Ong J, Chiu YF, Mandl L, Cushner F, Della Valle AG, Parks M. Does WHO Obesity Class Associate with Stiffness after Total Knee Arthroplasty in Obese Patients?. 2023 American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting. November 2-5, 2023. Grapevine, TX. Poster Presentation.
Dr. Driscoll’s current research focuses on clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction after primary and revision joint replacement. In addition, he aims to better understand the effects of medical comorbidities, such as obesity, on clinical outcomes after hip and knee replacement.